02 March 2010

Birthday Fairy [tradition]

You have heard of the tooth fairy, I'm sure. You know, the little fairy that leaves you money under your pillow for your tooth? In our family, it wasn't the tooth fairy that we looked forward to.

It was the Birthday Fairy.

I'm not sure where this tradition came from, but we didn't care. All we knew was that the Birthday Fairy would visit us in the night before our birthday. It reminds me a bit of St. Nicholas Day.

Anyways, the night before your birthday, you get to choose your favorite shoe to put out by your door. I remember I planning out which shoe I would put out months before my birthday. My husband chose his slipper last year.

You leave your shoe by the door and then the Birthday Fairy comes and leaves a quarter for every year old you are, plus one for good luck. So, if you are turning 15, you would get 16 quarters.

I like this tradition because the older you are, the more quarters you get. So it actually pays to get old :)

The fun thing about Birthday Fairy money is you get to do whatever you want with it! If you didn't want to do quarters, you could do something else more specific to the birthday person.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails